STAND NUMBER: 4A128
Marine Environmental Data and Information Network (MEDIN)
MEDIN is the hub for UK marine data. Data are accessible via our portal, which contains information about 14,400 marine datasets from over 400 UK organisations
The Marine Environmental Data and Information Network (MEDIN) promotes sharing of and improved access to UK marine data. It is an open partnership with partners representing government departments, research institutions and private companies.
Marine data are expensive to collect and always unique in relation to time and geographical position. There are wide commercial, scientific and conservation benefits to be gained from working together to share and properly manage these data.
Data are managed and delivered by a network of specialist data archive centres. These include the UK Hydrographic Office; the Met Office; the British Oceanographic Data Centre; the British Geological Survey; DASSH; Marine Scotland Science; CEFAS; the Archaeology Data Service; Historic Environment Scotland; and the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Wales.
• Secure long-term management of marine data sets at specialist data centres.
• Improved access to marine data from a single website.
• An agreed set of common standards for sharing marine data, maintained and supported by partners, to enable easy discovery and re-use of data.
• Expertise on best practice data management for marine data.
• Free data management workshops around the UK.
MEDIN is hosted by the British Oceanographic Data Centre at the National Oceanography Centre in both Liverpool and Southampton. For more information, please see our website www.medin.org.uk or email email@example.com.
023 8059 6255